Stroke is a medical emergency in which the blood supply to one or more area in the brain is either blocked or a blood vessel within the brain ruptures. This cut off in blood supply causes death of brain cells due to lack of oxygen and glucose.
Stroke is mainly of following 3 types:
- Ischemic strokes
- Hemorrhagic strokes
- Transient ischemic attacks
Effects of a stroke
Stroke causes a sudden loss of brain function & brain control. It effects everything patient say, do and think. So patient may develop following conditions after stroke:
- Weakness, numbness and stiffness of limbs that can cause loss of function and difficult in movement (paralysis).
- Anxiety, depression and mood swings.
- Decreased ability to think, remember and recognize anything.
In some patients, all these after effects of stroke are either absent or are very less and patient can very well live a normal life after stroke. But in majority of the cases, Stroke leaves its impression in one or more forms and patient needs to get some rehabilitation to lead a normal life.
Ayurvedic & Physiotherapy Rehabilitation for Stroke
In Ayurveda, Stroke is mentioned under Pakshagata. It occurs due to vitiation of vata dosha. Once vitiated, wherever vata will settle, it will cause pakshagata or paralysis e.g: if it settles in one side of the body, it will cause hemiplegia.
The main aim of treatment and rehabilitation of pakshagata in ayurveda is to reduce the vata and ensure its normal flow by:
- Internal medication
Many effective herbal formulations are described in Ayurveda and will be prescribed according to the condition of each patient.
- External treatment by:
- Snehana (application of medicated oil on affected body part)
- Pindaswedana (fomentation of affected body part)
- Kayaseka (Pouring of medicated oil in the body in a specific manner)
- Vasti (special type of enema therapy)
- Virechana (Purgation)
- Nasya( Administration of medicine through nostrils)
Physiotherapy also contributes equally in improving the condition of the patient by various exercises and therapies.
Advantages of Ayurvedic and Physiotherapy Rehabilitation
- Strengthen the muscle tissue
- Re-establishes the neuromuscular function
- Recuperate the lost function of the body
- Improves the quality of life of the patient
- Patient can very well perform his normal daily activities
These ayurvedic therapies dismiss toxins away from the body through different channels. This will clear the blocked channels and ultimately the peripheral blood supply will increase, relieving the patient symptoms.