Shiro lepa is a part of ayurvedic panchkarma and rejuvenation therapy. Shiro means head and lepa means paste application, so the procedure in which a paste of various medicinal powders and herbs is applied on the scalp is called shiro lepa. This is the most soothing and cooling therapy for brain as well as body.
Indications for Shiro lepa
- Scalp diseases like dandruff, hair fall, premature greying of hair etc.
- Skin diseases
- Mental stress
- Mental exhaustion
- Dry Vision Syndrome etc.
Ayurvedic physician carefully evaluates the prakruti, vikruti and dosha imbalance of the patient before prescribing the herbs to prepare lep for shiro lepa. On the day of the procedure, first of all medicated oil is applied over the head and body. This is followed by application of herbal paste over the head. After this, the head is covered and tied with certain medicinal leaves to allow interaction of herbs with the scalp. This facilitates absorption of all the nutrients of the lepa for complete nourishment of the head. After 60-90mins, the paste is removed and the oil is wiped off while gently massaging the head. Patient is advised to take bath with warm water and rest for some time.
Benefits of Shiro lepa
- Promotes stronger and healthier hair growth
- Reduces tension
- Nourishes the scalp
- Rejuvenates the body
- Stabilizes the nervous system
- Activates the marma point of scalp and the head
- Relaxes the mind, body and soul
- Cools the eyes and improves vision
- Improve the memory and concentration of a person
- Alleviates pains especially in the lower spine area