Pizhichil is type of relaxing and rejuvenating ayurvedic treatment that mainly cures skeletal and muscular disorders. The term Pizhichil means ‘to squeeze’, so the procedure involves squeezing of lukewarm medicated oil from a piece of cloth followed by mild massage of the whole body except head is called pizhichil.
The procedure is performed by more than three ayurvedic therapists and requiresmore than three liters of medicated oil.
Indications of Pizhichil
- Vata dosha disorders
- Rheumatic diseases
- Sexual weakness
- Neurological disorders
- Blood pressure
- Nervous weakness
- Muscular aches
- Dislocation & stiffness of joints etc.
Ayurvedic physician carefully evaluates the prakruti, vikruti and dosha imbalance of the patient before prescribing medicated oil to be used for pizhichil. Pizhichil is performed in seven standard positions of the body so that no area is left uncovered. The procedure is started by giving light massage to the patient. This is followed by squeezing of lukewarm medicated oil from a piece of cloth on all parts of the patient’s body except head. The cloth is periodically dipped in a vessel containing oil. The procedure is performed for almost one hour. The frequency of treatment is decided by ayurvedic physician depending upon the patient requirement.
Benefits of Pizhichil
- Effective therapy to treat vata imbalance
- Relieves body pains, stiffness & inflammation
- Rejuvenates and detoxifies the body
- Soothes the mind, body and soul
- Relieves stress and anxiety
- Improves blood circulation
- Improves overall physical and mental health
- Enhances muscular tone
- Re-tunes the entire nervous system and strengthens the nerves
- Improves skin complexion
- Delays aging
- Heals fractured bones
- Increases immunity