Janu Vasti is a specialized ayurvedic therapy which is performed on knee joint. Janu means knee and vasti means retention, so the procedure in which medicated oil is retained over knee area for specific period of time is called janu vasti. It is avery effective in relieving the knee pain and stiffness, and also improves joint mobility.
Objectives of Janu Vasti
- Relieve knee pains in old patients
- Increase grease in knee joint
- Improve elasticity of the knee joint
- Preventive therapy to avoid degeneration of joint
Indications of Janu Vasti
- Pain in knee
- Age related joint degeneration
- Ligament tear
- Meniscal damage
- Knee strain and sprain
- Sport injuries
- Popliteal cyst
- Post-surgical distress
- Gout and pseudogout
- Osteoporosis etc.
Procedure of Janu Vasti
Ayurvedic physician carefully evaluates the prakruti, vikruti and dosha imbalance of the patient before prescribing the medicated oil to be used for janu vasti.
On the day of procedure, patient is asked either to lie on back or sit with half folded knee joint. Ayurvedic therapist prepares a tough dough of the black gram powder or wheat powder. This dough is used to make a circular boundary over the knee joint. Ensuring leak proof, lukewarm medicated oil is poured and retained for some time in this reservoir. When the oil starts to cool down, it is squeezed using cotton and more warm oil is poured in it. This procedure is repeated for 30 to 40 minutes depending upon the patient requirement. The procedure can be followed by massage and hot water fomentation or other ayurvedic therapies like PPS.
Benefits of Janu Vasti
- Soothes and relieves the pain, spasm, rigidity and inflammation around knee joint and calf region
- Inhibits knee joint degeneration and protects its cartilage from wear and tear
- Lubricates the knee joint to increase joint mobility
- Rejuvenates the knee joint
- Nourishes and strengthens the muscles, bone and nerves of knee area
- Increases the vasodilatation and improves the blood circulation in the knee area